It’s been two years since we last reviewed a Facebook Messenger app that goes by the extended name of Chit Chat for Facebook. In the world of technology, particularly Social Networking a lot can change within the space of two years. Just for example, myspace.com went from being the 20th most important site in the world to the 194th (according to Alexa.) So, Facebook Messaging is of course no different.
The last time that we reviewed “Chit Chat for Facebook” it was the only reliable way in which to connect to the Facebook Chat network from your desktop on a Windows computer. That’s since changed. So, how does Chit Chat compare to what’s out there now? Is Chit Chat still relevant? And, what has changed in Chit Chat for Facebook since we last reviewed it
New Facebook Messengering Alternatives
Firstly, let’s look at what’s out there now in terms of software applications that you are able to use to connect to Facebook Chat.
- Facebook Messenger – Similar to Chit Chat for Facebook, this official Messenger client is a utility that one can use to connect to Facebook chat. Whilst it is the official Messenger client for Windows by Facebook, it is rather barebones and doesn’t work with all Windows XP machines without modifications.
- Digsby -
- ICQ – Like many of the tried and tested instant Messenger applications of old, ICQ have provided the ”add on” ability to also connect to the Facebook chat network. ICQ, however, is still this client’s primary focus.
- Windows Live Messenger – Microsoft’s Messenger application has been rebranded more times than most can remember. Their latest incarnation “Windows Messenger” supports connecting to Facebook again. However, again, the Messenger has a focus on their own network, therefore much functionality that Facebook has simply isn’t implemented in WM.
- AIM – In order to try to stay relevant, AIM also incorporated Facebook Chat messaging last year.
Is Chit Chat Messenger for Facebook Still Relevant?
Whilst there are methods by which to connect to Facebook Chat now that are readily available, Chit Chat for Facebook is still a very capable instant messaging solution. Unlike many of its competitors it is designed exclusively for the Facebook chat network. Moreover, it has many benefits such as those listed below that aren’t found in competitor solutions.
What’s Changed in Chit Chat for Facebook?
The Chit Chat for Facebook Messenger experience has evolved from being a relatively rudimentary Messenger client for Facebook into an app that possesses a lot of unique functions and abilities that you won’t find in other Messenger applications.
- Stay On Top – The application’s contact list and IM window can sit on top of other Windows such that you can you’re your messaging on top of your work or leisure activity.
- Import/Export – If you set preferences in Chit Chat that you grow fond of, you can “export them” for use on another computer to “import”, or if you decide to reinstall Chit Chat you can import those settings back in.
- Languages – Distributed in nine languages – including English, Spanish, Dutch, French and Hindi.
- Account Wide Facebook Sign In and Sign Out Notifications – Facebook refreshes your contacts list roughly every three minutes. It’s a breeze to see which of your friends have signed in and out with Chit Chats notification window.
- Dynamic Connectivity Updates – Facebook is famed as much for its success as its undesirable updates – such as the Timeline and the Feeds changes. In the event that Facebook makes large changes to its Facebook chat network system, Chit Chat is ready with a connectivity feature that will enable you to stay connected without having to uninstall and reinstall Chit Chat for Facebook.
Bottom line – whilst there are many alternatives now to desktop messaging on Facebook, Chit Chat for Facebook is still a very able dedicated Messaging solution.