Motorola has released Android 2.3 (gingerbread) update for users of Motorola Cliq 2. The update hasn’t been made available as OTA (over-the-air) update, instead you will require Motorola Software Update software to download the firmware to PC and then, install it on Motorola Cliq 2.
Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) is a very important update as it fixes lots of performance issues extending battery life and giving more desired stability to the phone. Below is some of the new stuff that you will see;
- Improved Cursor Control,
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality,
- Number and Symbol Shortcuts,
- Sleep Mode,
- Dock Icon Functionality,
- App Groups,
- Rich Location App,
- App and Power Management
- Browser Search Engine: Browser address bar search options now include Google, Yahoo or Bing;
- Emergent Groups and Smart Contacts: Based on usage, participant and addressee suggestions are made in Calendar entries, emails and text messages;
- Visual Voicemail Greeting: Greeting can be updated from visual voicemail application.
Android 4 is now the talk of the moment but the hardware that runs Motorola Cliq 2 isn’t capable of handling all the goodies of Android 4 (ICS) properly. This is the last update that you can expect for Motorola Cliq 2.
Before going for any update, we always recommend two things :
- Look to completely charge-up your device battery as you won’t like your device switching off in-between the update process.
- Also, try to back-up your messages, contacts, application settings and whatever you can. If something goes wrong, this little step can save you from a lot of headache. See this post on how to backup?
Below is how to update your Motorola Cliq 2;
- Install Motorola Software Update (download it from here) on PC and open it,
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB.
- Wait for some seconds (around 30 sec.), the software will detect your phone and check for updates.
- Follow the instructions in ‘Motorola Software Update’ to install the update.
- During the update, your phone will power on in boot mode. It is critical that you do not disconnect your device during the update installation process otherwise you may get a bricked phone.
- When the installation is complete, your device will power back on to the home screen and Motorola Software Update will confirm the update is complete.
- It is now safe to disconnect your phone from the USB cable. Your phone is now updated with the 2.0.87 software