Before getting into the steps, below are the few precautions that we would ask you to take.
- Look to make a backup of your messages (see this post), application settings and whatever if you can. There are dedicated apps available in the Google play to help you to do the complete backups. This small step can help you from a lot of headache if something goes wrong.
- Also, make sure that you have enough battery charge on your device to sustain the process of updating the device.
Below is how to root Samsung Galaxy SL I9003;
- Download XWLF2_CFROOT-05-07-2012.tar.
- Download ODIN v1.85 which will help you to install Android 4.0.4 on Samsung Galaxy SL I9003.
- Switch off your phone. Now go to Download Mode. To enter the download, press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode.
- Make sure you have your Galaxy SL USB drivers installed on your computer. Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode. If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. Please, be patient with this step and don’t panic.
- Now select the files that you have to flash / installed on your phone. These files are to be found from the extracted files in Step 1. Click on ‘PDA’ and select the XWLF2_CFROOT-05-07-2012.tar file.
- In ODIN, check the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. Now click on the Start button in ODIN. The installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
- After the installation is completed, your phone will restart. After you see the home screen, unplug your phone from the computer.
If you have carefully followed all the steps, then the Samsung Galaxy SL of yours has now been rooted on Android 2.3.6 build XWLF2 software update. Check for the Superuser app in your apps list to verify.