Below is how to unlock bootloader, root, and install CWM on Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray.
FOR FIRMWARE 4.0.2.A.0.42 : Updated Oct, 2012
Root and Unlock Bootloader (Gingerbread only)
- Download the zip file from here.
- Connect Phone to USB (Make sure in settings, you have checked ‘Install unknown resources + USB debugging + Screen awake + activate Mass storage mode).
- Execute “RUNME.bat” inside the folder you extracted at no 1.
- Follow the instruction that is being displayed.
- The phone will be rebooted and it’s bootloader unlocked and rooted.
Install Busybox and CWM Recovery on Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray Android
- Install BusyBox Free from STEricsson from Google Play. Open it on your device and let it install few files.
- Download the SE Tweak Installer from here (XDA forum page).
- Connect Your Phone to USB
- Run the SE Tweak Installer, select the device type to the Ray one (Make sure you have checked ‘Install unknown resources + USB debugging + Screen awake + activate Mass storage mode)
- Press Install and follow the process.
- Check Auto Reboot if you want to test right away (while reboot, press volume+ key multiple times.
If you have followed the steps carefully, it’s done.
FOR FIRMWARE 4.0.2.A.0.62 Posted : April, 2012.
- Xperia Ray [ST18i] with the new Firmware Version [4.0.2.A.0.62]
- Unlocked Bootloader, see this page from Sony on how to unlock your bootloader.
How to Install Root
- Download rootxperia.zip here and place it in your SD card.
- Switch OFF your device to enter a fastboot mode (hold volume up while you connect the USB cable to computer).
- Download the recoverRAY.img from here, and extract it with the help of WinRAR or any other zip extracting software.
- Open folder inside Flashtool where fastboot.exe exists (/FlashTool/x10flasher_lib)
- Place the recoveryRAy.img inside the folder
- Open command line in this folder Windows XP. There is a free Microsoft Power Toy called “Open Command Window Here” that can be downloaded at this link. Install this small file and the right-click context menu for folders will contain an entry “Open Command Window Here.”Windows Vista/7In the newer versions of Windows, you do not have to install anything. Simply hold down the Shift key and right-click a folder. The context menu will contain an entry, ‘Open command window here.”
- Test if it recognizes your device, to do this type fastboot device, if there is a result here proceed.
- Now here’s the tricky part, to enter a temporary recovery type fastboot boot recovery RAY.img
- Now wait and your phone will reboot, you will see the FREE XPERIA splash screen and your device will now enter temp CWM recovery
- On your phone choose install custom zip, locate the rootxperia.zip you added earlier in your SD card and flash it.
- Reboot, your device is now rooted.
How to install CWM
- Download this then extract
- Make sure you enabled USB debugging, and also you need to set the Screen timeout to 10 minutes so you don’t miss the superuser promt.
- Run install-cwm1.cmd from the folder.
- Follow screen on screen instruction, reboot.