Telus has released the Android 4 (ICS) update for users of Samsung Galaxy S II. The update has been made available as via OTA (over-the-air) and Kies, Samsung PC Mobile Suite.
You will automatically receive an update notification about the availability of the update, the only required thing is presence of Internet connectivity on your handset. If you aren’t getting the notification, you can check manually by going to Menu > settings > about phone > check for updates.
Few users are reporting the availability of the update while few are still not getting it. Don’t worry if you aren’t getting it as it usually happens in the early stages of rolling of an update.
Below are the new highlights of the rolled update;
- More smooth performance giving more desired stability to the handset. Hardware acceleration of the User Interface
- Improved visual voicemail
- Pinch-to-zoom functionality in native calendar app.
- Offline search, a two-line preview, and new action bar at the bottom of the Gmail app, also swype between conversations.
- Integrated screenshot capture app.
- Improved error correction on the keyboard
- Access apps directly from lockscreen (Camera or any)
- Improvement in copy and paste functionality
- Better voice integration and continuous, real-time speech to text dictation
- Face Unlock, a feature that allows users to unlock handsets using facial recognition software
- New tabbed web browser, allowing up to 16 tabs
- Automatic syncing of browser with users’ Chrome bookmarks
- New Font
- Data Usage section in settings that lets users set warnings when they approach a certain usage limit, and disable data use when the limit is exceeded
- New gallery layout, organized by location and person
Before going for this update, we always recommend two things :
- Look to completely charge-up your device battery as you won’t like your device switching off in-between the update process.
- Also, try to back-up your messages, contacts, application settings and whatever you can. If something goes wrong, this little step can save you from a lot of headache.